Saturday, May 11, 2013

Butternut Squash and Kale Soup

Last night's dinner was a bit of a throw together, but I think it turned out pretty good.  We had 4 butternut squash from the CSA I needed to use and a bag of kale that we need to use up too.  I roasted the squash in the oven, cooled, peeled then scooped into a pot.  Added some chicken stock, spices and the kale and let it simmer for a bit.  Then I blended it with the immersion blender and dinner was ready!  It's not the prettiest color (kinda greenish) but the boys are used to that, because I add kale and spinach to almost everything we eat.

Tip of the day....and maybe you knew this, but I just discovered this...when roasting squash in the oven,  just place the entire squash, uncut, onto a cookie sheet and bake it.  In about 45 minutes, the squash will be tender and you can cut and scoop out the insides.  Super easy and not as labor intensive as what I was doing before.

Oh and to make this vegetarian, just add vegetable stock or plain water to the soup instead of the chicken stock.  But if you do plain water, make sure to add more spices to get some flavor in there.


 The roasted butternut squash scooped out and cut into chunks


4 cups of chicken stock.  Or you could use vegetable stock or plain water. 


 Spices


 Combined and simmering till tender.





 I added a big handful of kale.


 Wilt it down


 Blend with the immersion blender until smooth.







Butternut Squash & Kale Soup

4 butternut squash
4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
1/4 tsp or more of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg
1 tbl sage
salt & pepper to taste - I think I put about 1/2 tsp salt and probably a tsp of pepper
large handful of kale - approx. 3-4 cups loosely packed


1.  Bake or roast butternut squash.  Let cool then scoop and put in pot.
2.  Add chicken stock
3.  Add spices
4.  Simmer until all the flavors meld together.  I think I did it for 20 minutes or so.
5.  Add kale and let the soup wilt it down
6.  Mix with immersion blender or put in blender to make it smooth

This soup will be creamy like it has dairy in it, but it doesn't!  You could make it vegetarian/vegan by using vegetable stock or plain water.  If you use water, add more seasoning to the soup.  Taste as you go along to get the flavor you want.

I'm thinking next time, I'll add a white wine.  I think it will add a nice complexity of flavor to the dish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Three Boys Are We. Powered by