Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sanding Sunday


Happy Sanding Sunday! Today's project is a headboard made from a door. A couple years ago, my awesome husband bought me a Cal-King mattress for my birthday. I was pregnant with my little bean and was freaking uncomfortable in our old queen sized bed. So we splurged a bit and got our ohhhh so comfortable, can fit all 5 of us, cal-king mattress. Well, since we splurged on a mattress, we didn't really have funds left over for a nice headboard/footboard. Also, I typically don't like paying full price for ANYTHING. If I can make, then I'd rather do that. Anyway, it's taken 2 years for me to find something I like AND something that was easy for me to do.

I found an old door on Craigslist for FREE!!!!  It is a nice solid single panel door from a  house that was built in the early 1900's.  It was PERFECT.  I called the guy up and had the hubs drive over there in the middle of the night...he's awesome that way...so that I could score this free door.   Well, it took a few months, mostly because of the weather, but once I finally got to working on it, it only took a few hours.

The hubs cut the door down to size and sanded it for me.  Then I painted it with a white primer.  That was it.  I was thinking I would like to spray a nice high gloss white on it one day.  But for now, I like the "distressed" look of it.

 the freebie
  the finished product


I still need to put my artwork back up above the bed.  I'm switching some things out, so I need to think about it for a bit first.  

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you...we hung the door on the wall using french cleats.  They are an awesome little invention.



here's a pic I found online

Hangman Professional French Cleat Picture Hanger, 200lbs
This is the brand we used, OOK French Cleats.  They hold up to 200 lbs each.  We bought 2 of them.  I don't think the door is going anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Three Boys Are We. Powered by