Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentines Day

Usually, this day meant flowers and a card and chocolate and dinner and a movie and a present from the one I adored.  I look back on all of that  now and think to myself, 'Geez!'  We sure were spending a lot of money on a few ways to say I Love You...instead of just saying 'I love you' to one another.  I'm sure we said it, amongst all the other things we were doing, but sadly, none of those other things were very memorable.

After the kids, we sort of stopped doing all of the extravagant V-day commercial things and, well, just stopped doing anything at all.  I think we had completely burned ourselves out from all of the commercialization of the holiday. Now that we have children, I've been trying to get back into the spirit of V-day and at least do things for the kids.  Well, this year, I've been thinking I need to do something special for the man I love.  I mean, I did marry the guy and promise him that I'd spend the rest of my life with him. I probably should do something nice for him occasionally, huh?   

Well, I've decided to make him a pie.  It might sound lame to some and maybe not as fancy schmancy as others might do/give to their loved ones, but my hubs, well, he likes pie.  Coconut cream pie, to be exact.  It doesn't hurt that I like it too!  So, this year, I will be giving my husband, man I love, a homemade coconut cream pie for Valentines Day.  Maybe it's because we have kids now or maybe it's because we haven't really celebrated V-day in such a long time, but I really want to do this....I need to do this.  I know he knows I love him and I will definitely tell him I love him, just like every other day, but making him a pie with my own two hands and watching him eat it will make me so happy.  It will totally give me the warm fuzzies.  

This also got me thinking about the kids and how little we actually do for certain holidays (V-day, for example).  I want the kids to grow up and remember the fun things that we did with them.  Even on the holidays we don't typically celebrate...can anyone say Ski Week, ummm, I mean President's Day?  For those of you not from CA, I recently found out that the week we get off for President's Day is referred to everyone here as SKI WEEK.  This is because parents were taking their kids out of school this week to go skiing.  So many, in fact, that the school districts decided to let them have the whole week off!  This is something completely foreign to this Texan!  Anyway, I want the kiddos to have fantastical memories of their childhood and if that means celebrating National Chocolate Day (oh, wait, we celebrate that EVERY DAY) then by golly, we're going to celebrate it's butt off!  I need to stop being such an ADULT and be easy breezy.  Not only for my little ones, but for my hubs and myself.  Don't you think it would be a nicer place if we were all a little more easy breezy with things?  

So...what are you doing for Valentine's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Three Boys Are We. Powered by